My Vegan Website

Friday, July 1, 2016

Part I - Meditation Failure

Last night, I watched Oprah's "Super Soul Sunday" and the guest was Russell Simmons. He talked a lot about how he does yoga and meditates and how it's the reason for his continued success.

I don't think that if I started meditating, I'm going to become a millionaire, but some of the things he said made me realize that I am really bad at just being in the moment. I am always thinking about stuff that happened in the past, or thinking about things that are going to happen,  things I hope will happen or hope won't happen. I have a hard time just being present (what a cheesy thing to say). Anyway. I have decided to give meditation a try and today was the first time.

It didn't go well.

I thought 20 minutes would be a bit much for the first go, so I decided to try for 10. I also decided - because it was hot inside - to go outside. The dogs came with me.

I sat down. No, I brushed off the yet unused this year patio sofa, and then I sat down. I set my cell phone to airplane mode and set a time for 10 minutes.

I closed my eyes. I focused on my butt on the cushion (THE PRESENT) and took a deep breath.

About 30 seconds in, the dog on the other  side of the fence started barking and my dogs went nuts.

They were not going to calm down.

The moment was lost.

I'll try again tomorrow.

-M.

https://youtu.be/R2RGDRRCjQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment